Welcome to Foliant!¶
Foliant is a all-in-one documentation authoring tool. It lets you produce standalone documents in pdf and docx, as well as websites, from single Markdown source.
Foliant preprocessors let you include parts of documents in other documents, show and hide content with flags, render diagrams from text, and much more.
Who Is It for?¶
You’ll love Foliant if you:
- need to ship documentation as pdf, docx, and websites
- want to use Markdown with consistent extension system instead of custom syntax for every new bit of functionality
- like reStructuredText’s extensibility and AsciiDoc’s flexibility, but actually would rather use Markdown
- want a tool that you can actually write custom extensions for without dealing with something as overengineered as Sphinx
- have documentation spread across many repos and want to reuse parts between documents
Here is the changelog of Foliant Core, the main and only strictly required package. See also the history of releases of numerous Foliant extensions.
- Add the
disable_implicit_unescapeoption. Remove warning when
escape_codeis not set.
- Support the
!envYAML tag to use environment variables in the project config.
- Allow to specify custom directory to store logs with the
--logs|-lcommand line option.
- Flush output to STDOUT in progress status messages and in the
- Get and log the names and versions of all installed Foliant-related packages.
- Do not raise exception of the same type that is raised by a preprocessor, raise
RuntimeErrorinstead because some exceptions take more arguments than one.
- Allow to specify custom options for EscapeCode preprocessor as the
escape_code.optionsconfig parameter value.
- Pass the
BaseParser()as an optional argument for using in config extensions.
escape_codeconfig option. To use it, escapecode and unescapecode preprocessors must be installed.
- Process attribute values of pseudo-XML tags as YAML.
- Allow single quotes for enclosing attribute values of pseudo-XML tags.
- Restore quiet mode.
- Add the
output()method for using in preprocessors.
- Remove spinner made with Halo.
- Abolish quiet mode because it is useless if extensions are allowed to write anything to STDOUT.
- Show full tracebacks in debug mode; write full tracebacks into logs.
- CLI: If no args are provided, print help.
- Fix tags searching pattern in _unescape preprocessor.
- Allow to override default config file name in CLI.
- Allow multiline tags. Process
falseattribute values as boolean, not as integer.
- Add tests.
- Improve code style.
- Breaking change. Add logging to all stages of building a project. Config parser extensions, CLI extensions, backends, and preprocessors can now access
self.loggerand create child loggers with
self.logger = self.logger.getChild('newbackend').
pretarget that applies the preprocessors from the config and returns a Foliant project that doesn't require any preprocessing.
makenow returns its result, which makes is easier to call it from extensions.
- Fix critical issue when config parsing would fail if any config value contained non-latin characters.
- Use README.md as package description.
- Fix critical bug with CLI module caused by missing version definition in the root
- Complete rewrite.